We are lucky to welcome Darren Laur from Personal Protection Systems Inc. (aka the White Hatter) to speak to intermediate students at Brantford on April 25th in the hopes of helping them to proactively understand the enabling power of digital technology and mobile communications, but also how to mitigate the sometimes unintended consequences of high risk/undesirable online behaviour. He’ll be covering topics such as:
- What are Chat Rooms, Instant Messaging, and SMS/MMS texting and how to stay safe while using them
- Cell phone/ Smart Phone and Web Cam safety
- What is your “digital dossier” and how students are placing their reputation and privacy at risk when on-line
- The good and bad of Social Networks such as “Facebook”, “Twitter”, “Skype”, Tumblr”, “Instagram”, “Snapchat”, “Vine” and “Ask.fm”
- Why students need to consider that everything they do on-line is public, permanent and searchable no matter what their privacy settings
- What is Cyber Bullying/Digital Peer Aggression and what can be done to control it
His award winning program clearly outlines the dangers associated with accessing online content and promotes responsible digital citizenship. For more information click HERE.
We encourage parents to attend the parent information session (April 25th @ 7pm) in which other community families from Buckingham, Morley, and Windsor have also been invited. Some come early to get your seats in the Brantford gym. There is no charge thanks to our wonderfully supportive PAC.
Dear Brantford Families and Students,
As part of Literacy Week, Brantford’s Book Swap is back by popular demand!!! If you have any gently used books you would like to donate, please bring them to your classroom between Thursday, February 2nd and Tuesday, February 7th. Students will receive “Book Bucks” for each book they bring in (up to 10).
On Thursday February 9th students may come to the Book Swap and select any gently used books of their choice based on the number of Book Bucks received.
Please make choices carefully before bringing in books. Books will only be accepted under the following guidelines:
- Books must be appropriate for preschool – grade 5 only
- Teen and adult literature will not be accepted
- Books must be in gently used condition: cover on, no rips, tears or bent edges
- Books with colouring or writing in them will not be accepted
- Colouring books, activity books, and sticker books will not be accepted
Please note that the selection of books available will be based on books donated. We cannot ensure specific titles, etc.
We are looking forward to an exciting BOOK SWAP DAY!
During the month of February, all Burnaby Schools will be accepting registrations for the 2017-18 school year. Registration are NOT based on a “first come, first served” basis, so it does not matter if you register Feb. 1st or Feb. 28th (although it’s always a good idea to register early in case you forget any necessary forms). Please visit the district Registration Page for forms and information regarding the registration process. Once forms and documents are filled out and ready, please bring everything to our front office and Ms. Thomson, our office secretary, will help you complete the registration process.
Brantford registration times are:
- 9:15 to 10:15 am
- 11:00 to 11:45 am
- 1:15 to 2:45 pm
No appointment necessary
Just in case you are wondering, school is open today…the usual time. Please be careful if you’re driving, especially on Brantford and in our parking lot. See you this morning.